Based on existing biodiversity data information standards and taking into account information from WG1, WG2 will develop common standards and guidelines for digitisation of different types of collections and collection objects, linking complementary expertise of information technicians and biodiversity and geoscience researchers. The information to be shared through the standards and guidelines refers primarily to large-scale digitisation of 2D and 3D objects, including micro-CT and surface scanning technologies, and the development of the respective infrastructure at the European and international scale. Information about novel techniques will be shared with SME partners. Guidelines for the respective technical framework and standardised workflows for the digitisation process will be developed.
New concepts and products (software, equipment etc.) will be discussed and, if necessary, evaluated. Existing standards already implemented by various national and international initiatives will be integrated into harmonised common guidelines.
Objectives for Year 1:
- People Identifier standards
- A workshop was held in Sofia following the second Management Committee meeting
- Image formats (survey & establish standards)
- Strategy for georeferencing (sharing existing resources, platforms and future innovations)
Given the short time left within the first year, the first topic (People Identifier standards) was prioritised.
Objectives for Year 2:
- Continuation of the work from Year 1 on People Identifiers
- There will be a pre-conference workshop on People Identifiers at Biodiversity_Next in October
- Strategy for georeferencing
- A workshop for georeferencing is planned and will be held during the next Management Committee Meeting at Warsaw in early 2020
- Minimal Information for Digital Specimens
- In collaboration with ICEDIG
Objectives for Year 3:
Increase uptake and functionality of crowdsourcing and citizen science Platforms
This will include:
- Assessment of developments made in recent platforms
- Ease of getting data back into Collections Management Systems
- Additional functionality needed
- Incorporating developments, eg people identifiers, georeferencing, phenology, machine learning etc
- Bringing in representatives from the different platforms
For more info please visit https://osf.io/j6psx/ .
|Elspeth Haston||UK||ehaston [at] rbge.org.uk|
|Arnald Marcer||SP||arnald.marcer [at] uab.cat|
|Joaquim Santos||PT||joaquim.santos [at] uc.pt|