Education and Training:
MOBILISE’s target groups will be mainly ECIs, but also experienced scientists and postgraduate students. Prioritisation of representation by women, to achieve gender balance, will also be pursued. Through these training activities, analytical and data skills necessary to understand, handle and process big and heterogeneous datasets will be delivered.
Blended e-learning, webinars, hack days and hackathons, face to face courses and workshops, and Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) will be organised. Concepts for standardised (online-) courses in different languages will be worked out, subject to further adaptation for different institutions and target groups. Courses covering different levels of researchers’ expertise will be scheduled in collaboration with ongoing European projects (such as BIOTALENT). Reference material and human expertise (e.g. invited lectures) to postgraduate courses on bio- and geodiversity informatics will be organised. Furthermore, MOBILISE will support initiatives to embed bio- and geodiversity informatics training in related postgraduate programmes run by several universities in Europe, through joint student supervision. Collaboration with existing Training Schools and Platforms which provide high quality learning to current and future generations of scientists contributing thus to capacity building in the trainees’ institutions will also be pursued.
Objectives for Year 1:
- Building of MOBILISE website www.mobilise-action.eu and set up and activate Social Media accounts
- Implementation of the first MOBILISE training school “Digitisation and data management challenges in small collections” Sofia, Bulgaria, 14-15 March 2019 with 60 trainees (30 students through application, 22 Bulgarian students, 8 MOBILISE MC members) and 10 trainers.
- Launching of the first call for STSMs (9 applications approved).
- Establishment of synergies between MOBILISE and other organisations:
- GBIF and iDigBio during the first training school
- DEST (Distributed European School of Taxonomy)
Objectives for Year 2:
- Identification and involvement of stakeholders
- Citizen science engagement
- Communication and involvement with/from other WGs
- Increase of the geographical coverage in the Training School
- Engagement of content providers from other WGs
- Participation in Biodiversity Next conference: WG6 is responsible for the symposium “Facilitating Capacity Building of Young Researchers” and the workshop “CETAF DEST e-Training Course: Biodiversity in a changing climate: e-learn more”.
- Appointment of MOBILISE WGs dissemination responsible person
Objectives for Year 3:
Intensify the outreach and dissemination of activities
- Improvements in content and functionality of the Action’s website https://mobiliseaction.eu
- Scientific Publications.
- Publication of a report on the state of georeferencing of NHC around the world
- Publication of outputs on People’s identifiers
“Digitisation and data management challenges in small collections – Data Quality, Data Cleaning – Bioimaging Micro Computed Tomography”
It intends to be a hands-on, interactive Training School, addressed to scientists of NH Institutions holding small collections giving them the chance to get informed and exercised on the digitisation and management of their biological and geological collections in order to be able to develop their Institutional Digitisation Plan. The Training School will focus on the collections’ data quality & data cleaning and Micro Computed Tomography in Bioimaging.
For more info please visit https://osf.io/j6psx/ .